Sunday 29 July 2007

In-flight Entertainment

My adventure began as I arrived in the 7th stage of hell (i.e. Heathrow Terminal 4 on a Monday morning).

After a mere hour and a half of endless queuing, I had just enough time to grab a coffee before boarding the plane. All was boding well - we were fully boarded in plenty of time.

Then we waited. And waited. And waited. During this time the on-board electrics were continually flicking on and off (including the aircon), meaning things were getting a little hot and some people weren't smelling too good. Brilliant.

After 40 minutes, the captain helpfully told us what we'd already figured out - there was an electrical fault that they were trying to repair.

After 1 hour of waiting, we received an updated that the fault was a broken wire and they would need to replace an entire unit and rewire it back in. But never mind! They'd be giving us drinks to keep our spirits up. Several people on the plane started panicking at this point that the plane was unsafe and there was a general feeling of unease. Wimps.

1hr 45 mins: Half a glass of free orange juice. Who says BA don't know how to look after their clients?

After 2 hours of waiting, we finally took off. In flight entertainment wasn't bad. Mini-review:
Zodiac: Good, though disturbing
Premonition: Poor. Contains possibly one of the most major plot holes I've ever seen.
The Number 23: Awful. Just awful.

The flight was more or less OK, apart from the cabin crew spilling hot coffee over me. As I yelped she enquired:
"Oh sorry, did I get you?"
"Yes."
"Sorry"
[Stewardess exits stage left. I clean off hot burning coffee stains, unaided]

My anticipation built as we finally entered NY. Then came the captain's announcement:

"...blah blah weather in NY is, I'm afraid, little better than that in Southern England. Temperatures are 21 degrees, with low cloud, high wind, heavy rain and thunderstorms..."

Having watched three thrillers in a row, my anxiety levels were already over the limit when we finally made one of the most dreadful landings ever (people were actually screaming). Standard facial expression:

And finally we landed. And the captain wasn't lying about the weather. I had over 30 minutes to contemplate that as we sat on the tarmac waiting to get off the plane.

But never mind - I had arrived!!

No comments: