Sunday 19 August 2007

Therapy of any kind

In reflection, I'm pretty sure last week was the one that will be shown to have built up to 'the week that was'. Oooh, too much conditional language.
Bets are on, but let's see what happens when I post next weekend.

Next week, I have a conference call with a board of directors to explain why the project I've taken over is going up the swanny. To be fair, it was heading that way before I came over, but they weren't entirely aware of that.

The situation is so nerve wracking it's almost laughable, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. Nonetheless, I suffered a feverish and fitful sleep on Friday night.

Waking Saturday, I decided to go for a nice lunch followed by a stroll, and then do some work ready for Monday so I could settle my anxiety. That was the plan.

And before I post this photo, I'd like to thank Peter the Great and say, no, it's not a Carrie obsession. It's just too much free time at weekends in close proximity to nice shops. Oooops I did it again...

I started off, as planned, with a wonderful lunch in the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station. More of an institution than a restaurant Wikipedia says...

I was served by a lovely Irish lady called Mary, who had moved from Ireland's West Coast nineteen years ago. Unlike the rather churlish Central American staff (I've realised - Central Americans just hate me), Mary was more than happy to help explain the menu, and just to give advice in general (Hell's Kitchen - apparently very nice these days and you can still pick up a bargain rental).

After a rather decadent lunch of Oysters and 'Scallop Panroast' (Scallops sauteed with celery salt, Worcestershire sauce, tomato, chili and LOTS of cream) I thought I better head off for a constitutional in order to avoid obesity. This was an invitation to danger...

Boys, look away now.

Hmmm. On second thoughts, you may want to take a look at the heels I purchased. And my Borders stash.

My first fall from grace occurred in Lederer, where I happened upon a faux-croc leather bag from a lovely WASPish lady who had botoxed the hell out of her upper lip. To be fair, I'd been looking for a new bag for a long, long time.

Floating on a credit card haze, I happened upon 'Links of London', and proceeded to inspect two lovely necklaces which turned out to be $995 and $1995 respectively. Instead, I went to a rip-off shop and purchased some similar necklaces for the princely sum of $50
The next stop was Stuart Wietzman. Now, I have to say this is genuinely exciting for me.
Remember the shiny red bag I treasured in Miami? [note to self - I only seem to be materialistic in America] And the matching heels I talked about but never wore?
They were both from SW via Russell & Bromley.
But then I found out that, here in NY, they have a DEDICATED STORE. Both times I've attempted to raid it, it's been closed,

Check out these babies (to go with the brown Roberto Cavalli dress)
As I tried them on, women were cooing over them as I attempted to stay upright. My god they're cool but they have two problems:
1) They're impossible to walk in
2) I'll be at least half a foot higher than the average male

But no matter. My helpful assistant was a man by the name of Ozzie Manrique, who informed the father and son owners were truly lovely people and had visited just this last week.

Next, I decided by new brown bag wouldn't go with black and that, more than anything, I wanted/needed a red bag as well.

I stopped off at "Bric's" where a lovely man named Renato Nieradka tried to assist me, unfortunately with no luck. Same was true for the slightly more downmarket 'Hides in Shape', where a charming Colombian named Max patiently let me try on every single red bag they produced.

Finally, I fell for Furla. And so we were united

and the shop assistant was an impossibly cool guy who went by the name of Herb Miller. Turns out he knew London, as he had lived in Kings Road and also Kensington back in 1979. When I asked what he was doing there, he explained he had been studying the UK punk movement. He stayed in squats with various bands, and lived off restaurant leftovers from friends with waiting jobs. Apparently, he is now a DJ and drummer in his spare time.

Nearing home and with weary arms, I stopped off at Borders. "Tales of the City" - highly recommended. As is anything by David Sedaris. And yes Peter, I do listen to your recommendations, as you can see

Finally, I stopped off at Grand Central Market for a filet mignon (fillet steak) and some baby arugula (rocket).

I've been chatting to Gianluca recently (of my Rome adventures) who is doing incredibly well for himself these days. Well done to him and may his film adventures come off. [Don't kill me Gianluca - I know you've done bigger things] Here he is on the 'delitti imperfetti' website ("Imperfect Crimes"). It's kind of like the Italian version of CSI. Third row down, third from the left Delitti Imperfetti Attori.

Oh, by the way, for non-Sungard people, Mikey is a fellow limey who works in pre-sales.

Lastly, for the bored, here is a wonderful clip from peep show. Watch from about 1:50 for Sophie's Birthday, Jeremy has slept with Sophie's Mother, and Mark is planning to break up with Sophie.

Here, it's 8pm on Sunday, and I have to start working on that document I promised to send out over the weekend...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn woman! Those shoes are vixen-like!